Monday, May 4, 2009

See Sara Organize

Mel over at Melissa's Oklahoma and Nic from Domestic Sophisticate have both recently posted about how to organize jewelry collection. And since I have quite a large collection, I thought I'd share how I keep it under control.

I love the look of hanging necklaces from a peg board, but I've got so many I'm afraid I'd pull it completely out of the wall! Also, I get pretty anal about things tarnishing or getting dusting, so I prefer to keep everything pretty well protected.

I keep all of my earrings, flexible bracelets and shorter necklaces in small plastic craft baggies. You can buy 100 at Michael's or Hobby Lobby for less than $3.00. I put each piece (or set of earrings) in it's own little baggie like this:


Then I keep them all organized in plastic tackle boxes that I got at Wal-mart for $5.97. You can also use the bead/craft keeper boxes from Wal-mart, Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I like having each piece in its own little compartment so I can see everything at a glance. I group things together to make them easy to find - one box for all my gold jewelry, two for my silver and two for colorful pieces. This makes it super easy to find exactly what I need quickly when I'm getting dressed.


My bigger necklaces pose a bit of a problem since they don't fit in the tackle boxes. I use the larger plastic shoe-box size bins for these. Again, each one gets its own baggie (the sandwich size ones) and then I divide them into four bins - silver, gold, colorful and my current favorites. Obviously the current favorites one changes a lot, but that way the ones I'm obsessed with are always on the top! It's really easy to just grab a box, poke around and come up with exactly the thing I needed to complete my look.


Currently I keep my bangle bracelets in trays like this one, grouped together by color. Although for this one I am considering securing a towel rod to the closet wall and hanging these. I don't have quite so many of these and I wear them often, so I don't worry about them getting dusty from disuse. If I actually do it, I'll let you know how it turns out!


So how do you organize your jewelry collection?








No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails